Saturday Fire Damages Chaloner Middle School
Posted On:
Saturday, February 11, 2017

A portion of Chaloner Middle School was damaged this morning as a result of a fire in the school’s gym.  

A custodian working in the school this morning to sanitize it from the recent flu/cold outbreak smelled smelled smoke and called the Roanoke Rapids Fire Department shortly before 9.   

 

It’s been determined a battery operated Genie lift used to change lights in the gym caught on fire.  

 The gym and band room areas are heavily damaged with smoke and soot.  No students were in the building.  

 “Fortunately the fire doors, which are closed when students are not in the building, kept the smoke from filtering to the classroom areas,” said Robbie Clements, RRGSD Maintenance Director.  

 A fire and smoke restoration crew will be called in later today to assess the damage.  

 “At this point, we’re concerned about the overall air quality in the school.   We will make a determination later this weekend regarding classes next week,” said Superintendent Dr. Dain Butler.